At present, water borne diseases have become a major challenge worldwide. There are many people who are suffering from them and according to UNICEF and WHO surveys and studies, more than 80 percent of diseases around the whole world is because of water. it has also become a major reason behind many deaths as well.
In countries like India, as much as 3000 people die every day only because of the diseases that are caused by drinking contaminated water. These diseases also happen due to poor hygiene, unsafe water supply and insufficient sanitation.
In order to stop drinking contaminated water one can take help of RO water purifier plant because only water purification process and machines can help one to get access to clean and healthy water. By drinking that, one can lead a safe and healthy life.
Water borne diseases mainly happen due to 2 major reasons. They are:
- Due to high pollution and dangerous level of nitrates, chemicals and heavy metals that are present in the regular water supply. This has increased because of the industrial pollution and excess use of agricultural chemicals.
- Due to parasitic organisms like viruses and bacteria that can easily contaminate the water and cause health hazards. Water becomes contaminated because it regularly comes into contact with the human and animal wastes.
Water borne diseases are of different types and the most common ones are cholera, diarrhoea and meningitis. It can be incredibly severe and sometimes it can also be life threatening if once infected and they are not treated properly or left untreated.
What are the diseases one can suffer from when one is drinking contaminated water? Well here are some diseases that one can face if they intake polluted water.
It is a kind of bacterial infection that mainly happens because of gram negative bacteria. This bacterium primarily infects animals like rodents, dogs, horses and other animals. After that these animals contaminate the water by urinating in the water bodies. This water gets supplied as the tap water and when human beings drink this then they can easily get affected by this disease. The major symptoms that can happen are high fever, headache and abdominal pain.
This is a kind of parasite which is mainly caused by a certain protozoa and it is also known as the endamoeba histolytic. This parasite majorly affects the intestine and when it does, then it can lead to issues like loose motion, abdominal cramps, stomach pain and other things.
When this happens, one can face constant watery stool for more than 72 hours. There are many people who can suffer from acute diarrhoea, persistent diarrhoea and chronic diarrhoea. If the diarrhoea continues for 2 weeks then it can be persistent diarrhoea and if it is less than 2 weeks then it is the acute one. But if it lasts more than a month then it can be the chronic one. The major reason behind this disease is of course contaminated water. Regular tap waters get infected with bacteria, fungi and viruses which can cause some infection in the intestine and causes the disease. When diarrhoea happens one can see the change of colour in their stools, abdominal cramp, and stomach pain. It is said that if this disease is not treated in time and in proper manner, then it can also cause death.
It is another water borne disease which affects a lot of people. According to World Health Organisation surveys, there have been already 2 lakh people who have lost their lives due to this disease in recent times. This disease mainly occurs when there is a bacterium called Salmonella typhi attacks the intestine. The major symptoms of this disease are headache, high fever, muscle pains and vomiting.
When a bacterium named vibrio cholera attacks the body then this disease happens. When this disease happens one faces lots of loss of fluids from the body.
This is another type of bacterial infection which can enter the human body when one drinks contaminated food and water. The first thing it does is it affects the intestine of the body hugely. As a result, there is a swelling in the intestine and can cause a lot of health hazards.
This is a kind of viral infection that affects the human body and there are actually 5 different types of Hepatitis. But when it comes to water borne diseases then only Hepatitis A and Hepatitis E are caused by polluted water or any kind of contaminated liquid.
When one drinks contaminated water, then this is another kind of disease that happens. This actually affects the intestine hugely and when it happens it can lead to loss of water from the body. The major symptoms of this disease are fever, constant vomiting and stomach pain.
So when one is drinking water, then they need to ensure certain things:
- One had to ensure that the water they are drinking is very clean and it free from any sand or silt. One needs to filter the water to remove any kind of visible dirt.
- One always needs to drink clean and safe water. One should ensure that all the bacteria present in the water have been killed before drinking that. No one should drink untreated water.
- Filtered water should be used for bating purposes as well as they are devoid of chlorine and so they are safe for skin and prevent skin allergies and dryness.
- Wash your hands with clean and filtered water because one use hands to eat food and so they should not be washing hands with contaminated water.
- Wash all the vegetables and meat with filtered water so that they remain germ free and when it is cooked they are absolutely harmless.
There are many RO plants installed around the towns and cities to ensure that one can get access to clean and purified water all the time. Also, having a purifier at home is also necessary.
Join the discussion on this topic with Young Leaders by visiting our contact page.