Faulty electrical wiring is dangerous. Wiring issues are responsible for thousands of house fires yearly. Fortunately, you can prevent such accidents related to faulty wiring by inspecting for any and fixing them before it becomes a major issue. Also, having the proper knowledge of the warning signs to look out for ensures you know when to call in a professional electrician from Naples to check out the issue. Below are faulty electrical wiring warning signs to help you find and address the problem.
- Visibly damaged wiring
Any visible wire damage is an obvious problem to overlook. Even though you feel or think the wire is in good shape. Fix it immediately to reduce any risk of potentially serious consequences. Look out for frayed wire ends, bite marks on the wiring even when they look okay. Bite marks can be from sharp teeth that sink deep than you expect. More importantly, if you have a pest problem on your property, check the wiring well for any damage.
- Flickering lights
Are you experiencing flickering or dimming lights in your home or office? If so, it is a possible sign of faulty wiring. Also, it may be the lights are sharing an outlet with the main power consumer. The most electricity-hungry appliances are those with cooling and heating elements. Try unplugging any electrical appliances that are on the same circuit to see if it resolves the problem. Also, you can consider moving the lights to another circuit line. If it does not fix the issue, change the bulbs. If it still does not work, call an electrician to check it could be a big issue.
- Discoloration or scorching at outlet points
If you notice any discoloration, scorching, or any form of burning on any outlet point around your property, it may indicate an electrical wiring issue. Also, you may notice distortion of the faceplate of the outlet. If you feel the heat coming from an outlet, it is a sign that it is heating up. Although it is usual for wiring to get slightly warm after consistent use, it should not be so hot that it is uncomfortable or causes damage to the outlet plate. Avoid using the outlet immediately and have a professional find and fix the problem.
- Burning smell
Any unusual odors can be a sign you have an electrical issue. The common one is a burning smell. In this case, have a professional investigate any smoke or burning smell and resolve it quickly. Where the problem is significant enough, disconnect everything and trip the breaker manually. Also, investigate any other odd smells. It may be the burning is producing an unfamiliar odor. Regardless, do not ignore anything that is out of the ordinary.
- Messy wiring
It is not a must for an electrician to make the wiring completely neat as they install it. There are no drawbacks to messy wires nor benefits to organized wiring. But, as much as nothing is worrying about the little disorganization. Well-organized wires speak of the quality of work you get. An electrician who keeps things somewhat orderly is likely to be careful with the wiring as well. It is not a hard and fast rule but can be a sign.
- Frequently blown fuses
If your fuse keeps blowing, it is a sign something is wrong. It may be you overloading the circuit, or you may be having a wiring problem. Also, a frequent tripping breaker is a sign of poor wiring. Either it is too many multi-outlet extensions cords on a single circuit or using an appliance with high power demands. Again, an electrician can help you know the problem and fix it.
- Unusual sounds
Buzzing sounds is a sign that something is amiss with your electrical wires. Electrical currents do not produce any sounds audible to a human ear. But, a damaged wire may cause the current to jump and create a buzzing sound. If you can see the problem, your lights may start to flicker. Thus, this is a sign your current is not flowing smoothly. Plus, minor issues can cause stress on your electrical system resulting in a bigger problem.
Leave a Reply