If you want to succeed in any career, whether in business, medicine, or information technology, having good communication skills is necessary. In fact, only 15% of financial success roots from technical skills, while the remaining 85% comes from a person’s ‘people skills,’ including communicating, negotiating, and leading efficiently. That’s why the top skill that most employers say they;
That’s why the top skill that recruiters often say they’re looking for is excellent communication skills alongside passion, team-player mentality, and adaptability.
If you’re looking to improve your communication skills at work to be on better terms with peers and increase your chances of succeeding or are applying for a job – here are five ways you can do just that.
Have a Small Talk
A simple but effective way of honing your communication skills is by having small talk with people around you. You can do this by building rapport with the security guard, the receptionist, the errand boy, or the copy boy. You can talk about the weather, the water heating system, or how the cob salad was great at the canteen.
Doing this simple practice helps you get more comfortable conversing with others and adapting to whatever topic or conversation. It also teaches you how to be more accepting of other people’s points of view since you will find that different people have varying opinions on issues and topics.
Although speaking can be a great way to improve your communication skills, overdoing it can do a lot more harm than good as it can overwhelm the people you’re speaking to and leave them ultimately confused. Remember that the goal of communicating with someone is to share useful information or provide clarity. That’s why it’s best to say what only needs to be stated as briefly as possible to not bore the person you’re talking to and keep them engaged.
Learn How to Listen
Active listening is an essential skill you need to master. It helps you understand and absorb what people are saying, making you seem more passionate about communication, helping you keep your audience more engaged. Moreover, when you engage in active listening, you’ll be able to paraphrase or summarize messages better and develop more thoughtful queries, helping you give a better response.
Master Talking on the Phone
Not many people primarily use phones to communicate anymore as more of today’s youth prefer texting than talking. Still, it’s better to condition yourself to handle phone conversations well, especially if you work in an office environment. When talking on the phone, show respect and courtesy in the tone you’re using, whether you’re talking to a customer or colleague. Moreover, it’s best to show empathy when speaking with customers over the phone, especially if you have a customer service or public relations role.
Polish Your Speaking Skills
In today’s world full of technology, most communication is done through email, texts, and instant messages, making it easy to ignore your speaking skills. However, as a worker, it’s wise to learn how to speak well in person, especially in front of small or large groups. You can polish your skills by practicing, knowing what you’re going to exactly say, preparing how you’re going to execute it, and removing things that distract listeners.
Moreover, it’s best to deliver speeches by telling a ‘story,’ helping you take the audience on the journey with you, making it more memorable and engaging. Start practicing in front of a trusted peer and ask for their honest feedback and expand from there.
By improving your communications skills, you increase your chances of succeeding, have it noted, get all the promotions you deserve – and build lasting bonds with peers. The mentioned tips help you pave a pathway to better communication and ultimate success.
Leave a Reply