People’s homes are filled with various items that are highly prone to power fluctuations. Microprocessors are often very susceptible. These small electrical components are very sensitive that a 10-volt surge can cause home appliances to malfunction. These microprocessors are often found in electrical consumer items, such as TVs, computers, microwaves, and other big appliances like refrigerators, washing machines, and dishwashers.
Meanwhile, big power surges, such as whenlightning suddenly strikes,can instantly damage internal circuits, causing a “frying” effect that can melt some metal parts and plastic components. The good news is these types of power fluctuations, if at all, are very rare.
The small surges in power will not cause any untoward problems, so at times you may not be even aware that they are happening at home. There are a dozen or perhaps hundreds of these power surges that occur at various times of the day.
These lower-level power fluctuations are incapable of melting the parts of your home appliances, or worse, blow out your electrical fuse. However, these can lead to some electronic rusting, which can eventually result in the degradation of your internal circuits and, later on, lead to some irreversible damage to it.
Your first line of defense in terms of high-level fluctuations in power is to prevent it from ever happening and causing damage to your home appliances. While many external power fluctuations are uncontrollable, you can somehow get rid of the major causes of internal surges, including the following.
Inspect and upgrade any poor wiring
For those of you with older homes, any poor or outdated wiring can be an electrical hazard. Ask yourelectrical contractors in Salt Lake City for inspection.
The electrical system established in your home may not be designed to handle any high-level capacity home appliances, such as freezers and entertainment systems. Some apparent signs ofpoor wiringoften lead to blown-out fuses, tripping circuit breakers, and lights that blink or dim when other big appliances are switched on and working.
Check your electrical lines for any overloaded circuitry
If your home is quite new, you will not have any issues with overloaded electrical lines. Check for two or more big appliances that are drawing power from the same circuit, particularly around your kitchen area.
Make sure you unplug appliances when not in use
This is the best and easiest way to avoid power surge problems. Make sure you unplug your appliances whenever they are not being used. Do not leave your toaster, microwave, and other small appliances plugged in when not in use.
Yet another trouble area can be your circuit with so many small devices plugged in, like the room with so many computer or entertainment devices switched on. Make sure to ask your electrician to create a dedicated circuitry for every big appliance, and to section the rooms at home properly using various circuit systems.
Never ignore the simple signs. They can be signaling you that something is very wrong and the problem can later on escalate and cause fire hazards.
Leave a Reply